Saturday, June 02, 2012

pear bourdaloue

Poached pears turned into pear bourdaloue (a.k.a. Tarte Bourdaloue aux poires)! These pear tarts are named after a Parisian street called Bourdaloue - where a patisserie was located had invented them. It took three and a half hours to make these tarts from start to finish. First, the pears were poached in syrup, followed by making the almond cream and finally the sweet short pastry. The recipe calls for pear liqueur for the almond cream but I couldn't find any in supermarket. It did say rum could also be used but there are so many varieties of rum and I have no idea which would be suitable. So I've omitted the liqueur to avoid ruining the outcome.



Ta dah! Here are the final products! They've turned out really well, much better than what I've expected. The tart bases don't need to be blind baked, so I was a bit concerned that they may end up with soggy bottoms. But they turned out to have a crisp tart with soft frangipane filling and moist poached pears. They taste so good that I wouldn't mind spending another three and a half hours to make them again. Hopefully next time it would take less time now that I know how to make them.

Recipe from: Richard Bertinet's Pastry

1 comment:

Jocdic said...

正!